Friday, January 8, 2010

All my parenting questions

Baby Dax has been congested and had a cough for the last 10 days and the little bugger of a cold will just not go away. We have tried everything from herbs to saline nose drops to putting him in a steamy bathroom. He sleeps in his car seat to keep him slightly upright which thankfully has helped him to get a good nights sleep. I have called an advise nurse and she said I am already doing everything that she could suggest. So now I want to ask all you seasoned parents out there if you have any other suggestions?

On to my next question...I am an On Becoming Babywise fanatic. I started following the book when Dax was four weeks when a friend suggested I try it since I was pretty much on the brink of insanity. It has saved Kelly and I in more ways than I can tell you. Dax is on a 3 hour schedule. Except after 10 PM I let him sleep and he usually wakes up between 6 & 7 AM. (Hallelujah for sleeping through the night!) My problem is that in order to get him to eat every 3 hours I almost always have to wake him up from his nap. I tried a few days ago to let him sleep as long as he wanted and because of it, he ended up only having 5 & 1/2 feedings rather than his normal 6. That night he woke up at 3:30 AM wanting to eat. My question is, is it okay for me to keep waking him every 3 hours or would it be better for me to let him sleep during the day? and At what age should I start stretching out his feedings to 3 & 1/2 or 4 hours? (He is 3 months old BTW.)

Lastly, Dax gets swaddled while he sleeps. Lately he has been breaking free and whenever he gets an arm loose, he wakes up screaming. He will not go back to sleep unless I go in and re-swaddle him. Do you think its time for me to stop swaddling, if so, do you have any suggestions of how to do that?


*I would love any and all advise anyone can give.* Thanks!

2 comments:

Mel said...

I'm glad Babywise has worked so well for you! Some babies are just meant to be babywise babies. I say you can definitely let him sleep longer during the day- it's okay if his schedule is more on the 3 1/2 - 4 hour side now. My baby is 3 months and sometimes he's not even hungry after 3 hours.

As for the cold, sometimes if you put Vick's Vapor Rub on their feet it helps with the coughing, and if you don't have a humidifier that helps. But really you just have to wait it out. There's nothing you can really do with those nasty colds.

The swaddle thing is a good question and I'm wondering the same thing myself. I never know when to stop swaddling them. We're having the same problem. Good luck with it all!

Erin Anderson said...

Brittany these are all questions that are completely understandable. As far as the cold it sounds like you guys are doing everything we have done before and if he doesn't have a fever for a few days then you probably dont need to be too concerned! IT will pass as much as it stinks! Elizabeth is sick right now too!
I didnt do the baby wise thing but I didnt know you could stretch feedings out to four hours until just recently so I just started it but my doctor said four months! My daughter is small for her age though so it may differ if Dax isn't.
The swaddling thing is a really good question and Elizabeth went through that too. I just stopped going into her and she eventually got used to it when she got out. I still swaddle her because it helps with the putting down process but if it doesnt make any different for Dax it may not matter!